Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Progress, with a Video!

A couple of bugs have been chased down, so, just for fun, I thought I'd try and make a screen capture video of the state of the emulator.

At first I tried to use recordmydesktop, but that doesn't seem to play nice with the compiz window manager.  So, I found a nice, uncomplicated, picture format (TGA) and modified the user interface to write a screenshot to a file ten times a second (albeit upside down).  The user interface, incidentally, is a separate process from the emulator and accesses the files that contain the memory of the emulated RPC directly, much like a real VIDC chip.

Using mencoder, I produced the following video; it's probably best to watch it in fast-forward since it takes 40 seconds to get to the desktop and I'm not the fastest typer, either!

The upload to Blogger seems to have scaled it down 50% and reduced the quality considerably, though. The screen looks a lot better than that in use.



The command line I used to generate the movie was this:
mencoder mf://*.tga -mf w=640:h=480:fps=10:type=tga -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell -o /tmp/screen_cap.mpg -flip

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home