Wednesday, November 02, 2011

ARM Emulation on ARM - progress

The emulation approach I talked about in my last post is working well enough that most BASIC seems to work well (and the missing parts are probably due to omissions in the ROLF libraries, not down to the emulator code).  !Edit (from a RISC OS 4.02 ROM image) starts up, brings up an IconBar icon and opens a window (whose text can be read, provided it's not in system font), but for some reason the characters typed each get put on a new line!

There are still some bugs to be ironed out, and the (unoptimised) speed is less than I'd hoped.  Actually it's about 100 times slower than my 200MHz RiscPC!

Still, I have several features that still need implementing, such as a hash table for cache searching, fixing up jumps to non-local code so that the second and subsequent jumps make no search, compiling the library with gcc optimisation on (which made a surprisingly large difference on the x86 ARM emulator) and, if all else fails, reorganising the instruction identification mechanism to be more efficient.

Update 19:39.  Implemented a simple three instruction hash, for a better than 10x speedup.  Now only 10 times slower than the 15 year old machine!

Update 19:55.  -O4 optimisation gives a 30% speedup (a test that used to take 167cs, now takes 115cs), although that's probably more about turning off some debug than anything else.

Update 00:21.  One fixup approach takes the time down to 78cs (for 1 million times around a FOR...NEXT loop).
Initially, I thought I'd have to clear the cache (which involves a system call, plus whatever the OS does) for each fixup, but I realised that I could use LDR pc, [pc,...] to load the destination address using the data cache, (where the destination address would initially be the fixup routine and later the actual code address).  I might try some other approaches in the morning.  (I just noticed some debug output still in there, so I deleted it and... the time went UP to 106cs.  I'm going to bed.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home